Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Star Marks the Spot

For some reason, our Christmas experience this year has been totally different from any other. Granted the weather has been ridiculously warmer even for us in the South (there, I just jinked us!), I think it goes back to last Christmas when God gave me some advice and I took it.

It was this. "Search for Me and you will find Me."  Yup, in a nutshell be Mary, not her sister Martha. So last Christmas, I backed off SOME. Now though, with 12 months of gentle reminders in a way that only God can give, I can see the larger transformation and it is pretty wild! You see, last year I had my tree up the day after Halloween, more parties and obligations than I care to remember and I was miserable. So, I started searching for the star that would lead me to the manger. Like the wise men, I couldn't get there in a day, but I did stay the course and I can joyfully proclaim that I have found the baby Jesus exactly where I was lead. It is an exuberant place, but calm, quiet and peaceful. Do these words describe your Christmas season?

If you have a child, I am sure you can relate.

With baby numero uno, everything had to be P-E-R-F-E-C-T!  My father-in-law worked feverishly at my request to finish the beautiful wall mural identical to the crib bedding. Then thanks to my sister-in-law (no longer with us) who gave us a baby shower, all items were stocked. Now I was just waiting for the actual baby to put in the crib. Haven't we all become so busy that we forgot the most important part was the actual baby?

And guess what?

Ready or not, like all babies, He is coming. You can't do anything to prevent it, but you can do everything to prevent MISSING it. If He didn't need a fancy nursery with matching bedding to arrive THEN, He sure doesn't need our fancy bows, packages or even the family nativity set and advent wreath (yes, I said that), to arrive NOW. Time is up, that baby is crowning and speaking of crowns, Oh come let us adore Him! Let us stop what we are doing and follow the star to the manger. Allow yourself to take the pressure off to make this the "prettiest" Christmas, the "best- Christmas- gifts- ever" Christmas, the "tastiest" Christmas, the "most hospitable" or "generous" Christmas. You fill in the blank. Just let CHRISTmas come. The only "room" we honestly need ready is the room in our hearts, and instead of the newest, trendiest receiving blankets,  just being prepared to receive Him, amen?

I know the weather has been warm here in Alabama and doesn't feel like Christmas outside, but it sure feels warm and toasty in my heart. You see, following the star is what Martha's sister Mary, the shepherds and the three wise men had in common. They stopped their busy plans and came to worship our Lord. Different stories, but same book. Let us have that in common with them.

Hoping you have the Merriest Christmas ever,
~Clarissa

1 comment:

  1. What a great message! Yes, He is coming and thankfully so. God Bless and Happy New Year :)

    http://theemptynestexpress.com

    ReplyDelete